Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Welcome!

Welcome! At the urging of a couple of friends who are looking for a place for basics of feeding families in a balanced and healthy way while still indulging in the occasional sweet or junky snack, I have started this blog. I make no promises. I will simply share what has worked for us, frustrations that we come across, snack and meal ideas, weekly menus and planning, etc. If there's a specific topic you'd like to see covered, feel free to comment below!

My goals for my family include the above. I want to teach my two daughters, aged 6 and 4, how to nourish their bodies. We talk about balance, and that most of our food needs to be healthy - veggies, fruits, whole grains, dairy - and very little can be junky. We call junk "junk" vs treat. We don't reward or punish with food. (There will be a post about that later!) We talk about how much sugar is in certain foods, that is not good for you to eat too much sugar, and how it affects your teeth too! My 6 year old reads ingredient lists and loves to help out in the kitchen. She has made some dishes for us and was so proud of herself. And she has asked to cook more often. 

We aim to live by the "variety, balance, and moderation" rule of thumb. It's not always easy. Life gets in the way. But we try hard. And have learned some important lessons along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment