Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Enchiladas

I had a couple of requests for the enchilada recipe so I thought I would just post it here! I used what I had on hand and loosely based the dish on recipes I had previously used. I received some zucchini and yellow squash in the farm box yesterday, had some leftover refried black beans, and had stocked up on avocados because they were on sale last weekend.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp avocado oil 
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup refried black beans
1 zucchini, shredded 
2 yellow squash, shredded 
1 Tbsp chili powder + more for sauce 
1 Tbsp cumin + more for sauce 
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper 
8 tortillas (either flour or corn will work)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar because that's what I had on hand)
2 cups tomato sauce or canned diced tomatoes (I omitted because I didn't have any)
1/4 cup green chiles or chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 

Toppings:
1 tomato, diced 
1 avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
Sour cream 

Directions:
Heat oil in pan, add onions and peppers, stir until softened. Add garlic until just fragrant. Add zucchini and squash. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, & pepper. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until all veggies are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in refried beans. 

In a small pot, heat tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes) with either chipotle peppers or chiles, over medium heat. Sprinkle cumin and chili powder into sauce. Keep warm. 

Place an eighth of the veggie mixture in each tortilla. Sprinkle some cheese on top of mixture. Roll each tortilla up and place, seam side down, in a baking dish. Top with the tomato sauce (optional) & remaining shredded cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. 

Serve with toppings. Enjoy!

1 comment: