Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Recipe: Sweet and Sour Chicken

My oldest had asked for me to make sweet and sour chicken like she had at Tin Drum. I wanted to modify it so I could make it a little healthier for us. I ended up sautéing the chicken and veggies, and using pineapple (and it's juice) for the sweetener. I was going to add a separate sauce but decided against it. I served it over quinoa instead of rice (because I was running out of time) and aside from my younger daughter who tried to pick off the quinoa, we liked it. 

Ingredients:
oil for sautéing (I used avocado oil)
4 bnls sknls chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
salt and pepper
Splash of white wine (or chicken broth)
1 onion, chopped coarsely
2 bell peppers, chopped coarsely (I used ten mini bell peppers because I didn't have any large ones on hand)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 pineapple, cored and chopped coarsely, reserving the juice
quinoa or rice

Directions:
Heat oil over med-high heat in a dutch oven or large pan
Season chicken with salt and pepper generously
Brown chicken, turning until all sides are browned and chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes
Remove chicken from pan, splash wine (or chicken broth) to deglaze the pan
Toss in all the veggies and pineapple, including the juice, stir well and let simmer until all are soft
Mix in chicken, serve over rice or quinoa

No comments:

Post a Comment