Tuesday, April 26, 2016

How does your garden grow?

I have a black thumb when it comes to gardening. But that hasn't stopped me from attempting to grow vegetables and herbs in recent years. 

The first year I grew anything, a work friend brought tons of tomato seedlings to our office. I had two large tomato plants and a few different herbs. They all grew well and I was hooked to having (ahem, attempting to have) home grown produce out back. 

I stuck to potted plants for a few years until six or seven years ago, and then we attempted a (too) large vegetable garden. We definitely bit off more than we could chew and after a week away with no one tending to it, our garden morphed into a forest and we were harvesting the biggest zucchini I had ever seen. 

Since then, we plant in pots and in a raised bed, and some years are better than others. This year, we are starting late with vegetables although the herbs have been planted for a little while now. I had parsley, Rosemary, and mint from previous years, and I always plant basil and cilantro. I planted lavender, thyme, and another type of mint. I also added some pollinator friendly plants and marigolds around the garden. 

This weekend, we will add peppers (bell and jalapeño), a few different types of tomatoes, a couple different types of cucumbers (yellow variety was a big hit last year!), some squash, and watermelon and melon varieties. I may try a couple new plants just to experiment - okra and something else. 

What are your favorite vegetables and/or fruits to plant? What grows best where you live? And what do you love most about edible gardens?

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for guaranteed success or any foolproof tricks for good harvests. So if you do, please share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment