Thursday, May 28, 2015

Strategies for Getting Kids to Eat Healthier

Switching to a mostly healthy eating lifestyle is a process. It's not going to happen overnight, and it's not going to happen without some major decisions and actions by you, the parent. It also takes patience! 

Many people think their kids are picky eaters. And there are some picky eaters, super tasters, kids who have issues with consistencies, intolerances, etc. However, the majority of kids these days are not dealing with any of those things! The majority of kids, when they don't want to eat things, are fighting a battle with you. The older kids are, the harder it will be to get them on board, but it's so worthwhile and an invaluable tool to teach them how to nourish their growing bodies. I've come up with some strategies that we employ that I hope will help those of you who feel like your kids only want junk.

1. Don't change everything at once. Try to change something small every week or two. 

2. Don't make separate meals for your kids. Eat together (when possible) and eat the same foods. We rarely serve different meals unless I'm making something that's extra spicy. If I know that my kids don't love something (and that's ok!), I usually have an alternative option. For example, my kids don't love Brussels sprouts, but my husband and I love them. When I serve them, I always have a veggie that my kids do love. And I always put a small serving of Brussels sprouts on my kids' plates anyway. It's an acquired taste!

3. Serve new foods with familiar foods. It's great to explore foods that you're unfamiliar with, too! Commit to one new food/recipe a week, for you AND your kids. Be a great role model and let your kids see you eating new, healthy foods too!

4. Smart Snacking: The only snacks allowed within the 90 minutes before dinner are fresh veggies. Similarly, if a child doesn't eat his/her meal, and then asks for a snack 30 minutes later, don't offer something different than the meal. (Many parents say their kids won't eat dinner but then will want yogurt, fruit, crackers, etc 30-60 minutes later.) Incorporate protein and/or fat in snacks, it will help keep them full longer than just some crackers or fruit. 

5. A successful strategy is having your kids cook, or help prepare/cook new meals. If they have put effort into something, they generally will want to eat it!

6. Don't keep junk food in the house. Don't buy food that you don't want your child -- or yourself! -- to eat. Out of sight, out of mind!

7. Employ a "no screen time" rule for meals. Not having distractions helps turn the focus on the food and company. 

8. Don't use food -- dessert -- as a reward. 

Which strategies do you use at your house that work well?

No comments:

Post a Comment